Friday, August 27, 2010

Back to work!


I've now been back in my placement for 2 weeks & doing workshops as well as classroom observations with the teachers in my district. I have facilitated my "Strengths & Weaknesses of Muhura Schools" workshop in 8 schools & now only have 1 school left. This workshop runs from 2 to 3 hours where I present some of the strengths & weaknesses I saw in all of the schools I visited (hence the title). Afterwards, the teachers work in small groups to find solutions to the weaknesses. There is a fair bit of acting on my part as I demonstrate some of the weaknesses (like shouting 'you!' to a student instead of using names) so the teachers understand why something is an issue & could easily be changed. I also teach a couple of songs (yes, I sing in front of the teachers) and a game (Simon Says) so the teachers can see how easy it is to incorporate these things into their classes.

As I have no pictures of my workshops yet, I will post a picture of beautiful Zanzibar - I place I highly recommend you visit if you get a chance....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelti

    I have been reading your blog because I have been offered a placement possibility in Rwanda as Education Management Advisor in the Nyagatare District. (Gatsibo?)Is this where you work? Is there an Education Management Advisor there already? It seems like a very BIG job!!Also,my French is very basic. I would love to hear from you if you have time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tricia - The Nyagatare District is north of my District of Gatsibo so if you took this position, we would be in neighbouring districts. There are no volunteers in the Nyagatare District yet but there are lots of people around to help you familiarize yourself with both the position and the area. Send me an e-mail if you want more information.

    ReplyDelete